Page 18 - Masthead18

This is a SEO version of Masthead18. Click here to view full version

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »

2011 Atlantic Hurricane Outlook Summary NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting an above -normal Atlantic hurricane season.

Across the entire Atlantic ba-sin for the six-month season, which begins June 1, the Na-tional Oceanic and Atmos-pheric Administration is pre-dicting 12 to 18 named storms. Six to 10 of them could become hurricanes, with winds of 74 mph or higher, the agency says.

Each of these ranges has a 70 percent likelihood and they indicate that the activity will exceed the seasonal average of 11 named storms, six hur-ricanes and two major hurri-canes.

“The United States was fortu-nate last year. Winds steered most of the season’s tropical storms and all hurricanes away from our coastlines,” said Jane Lubchenco, under-secretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and NOAA administrator, in a statement. “However, we can’t count on luck to get us through this season. We need to be prepared, especially with this above-normal out-look.”

NOAA’s seasonal hurricane outlook does not predict where or when any of these storms could hit. Landfall is dictated by weather patterns when the storm approaches.

Next week is National Hurri-cane Preparedness Week. To help prepare residents of hur-ricane-prone areas, NOAA is unveiling a new set of video and audio public service an-nouncements that are avail-able in English and Spanish.

2011 Eastern Pacific Hurri-cane Outlook Summary NOAA’s 2011 Eastern Pacific Hurricane Season Outlook in-dicates a 70% chance of a be-low-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal sea-son, and only a 5% chance of an above normal season. See NOAA definitions of above-, near-, and below-normal sea-sons. The eastern Pacific hur-ricane region covers the east-ern North Pacific Ocean east of 140 o W north of the equa-tor.

This outlook is based on the analysis and prediction of two main climate signals: The ongoing conditions that have been suppressing east-ern Pacific hurricane seasons since 1995, and a high likeli-hood of ENSO-neutral condi-tions (no El Niño or La Niña) during the peak months (July-September) of the season, but with lingering La Niña im-pacts perhaps into July.

Climate patterns similar to those expected this year have historically produced a wide range of activity. Allowing for uncertainties, we estimate a 70% chance of occurrence for each of the following ranges of activity this season:

 9-15 named storms,

 5-8 hurri-canes,

 1-3 major hurricanes, An ACE range 45%-105% o the median.

The seasonal activity is ex-pected to fall within these ranges in 7 out of 10 seaso with similar climate conditio and uncertainties to those e pected this year. They do n represent the total possible ranges of activity seen in pa similar years.

Source: NOAA Press Release May 19,2011

Summer Boating Safety ticles from the U.S. Coast Guard

As we did last summer, the Coast Guard is reaching out to recreational boaters with information about safe boat ing practices through boatin and community publications like yours.

We want to make a measur able difference in the fatalit and injury rates from recrea tional boating accidents, an that means reaching those whose behavior puts them-selves and others at risk.

To access articles and photo click on the links below.

Don't Roll Your Boat

Help Keep Our Waterways Secure

Simple Mistakes, Sudden Complication Tracking Time and Tides

Sudden Flooding

10 Factors in Boating Accidents

Page 18 - Masthead18

This is a SEO version of Masthead18. Click here to view full version

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »